WHAT IS MRI
FULL FORM OF MRI: magnetic resonance imaging
Definition of MRI
MRI is a technique that yields the best images of internal body organs ,parts and structures using magnets and radio waves and does not expose the patient to potentially harmful ionising radiations ( as it happens in the case of X-Ray and CT Scan.)
1.MRI scan detects water because it focuses on the behaviour of hydrogen atoms in water molecules present in the human body. This allows MRI scan to distinguish between water poor and water rich tissues.
2.Teeth and bones, which contain little water, does not appear in MRI scan.
3.The tissues surrounded by bones such as spinal cord are readily observable in MRI scan.
Alternative names of MRI:
MRI scan , Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR)
Why MRI scan is called so:
MRI scan makes use of hydrogen ( part of water present in the body) which has magnetic properties as well as the MRI machine consists of an electromagnet thus the term’ “magnetic” is used also it makes the use of radio waves for sending signals hence the term ,“resonance” is used .
MRI scan history
Raymond vahan damadian provided with the first MRI scan .
MRI scan details
MRI scan working and principle
1. Hydrogen ( part of water) is the principle molecule underlying the basic technique of MRI scan. As it is present in abundance in the body and also possesses some magnetic properties.
2. Under normal conditions human body has no overall magnetic field.
3. For MRI scan , the patient lies on a couch in supine ( lying flat on your back) position surrounded by coils of giant cylindrical electromagnet which creates magnetic field.
4. Radio waves are sent in the body that are absorbed accordingly by the hydrogen present in the body ( hydrogen is a part of water) and signals are sent accordingly that are recorded and used to create digital images providing information of the body internal organs , parts or structures for which the MRI scan is needed.
USES OF MRI
– of tiny lesions of multiple sclerosis on brain and spinal tissue
- joint injuries
In detection of
- injuries in head
Provides knowledge of
MRI can be done for:
|1. MRI abdomen lower
2. MRI abdomen lower +MRCP
3. MRI abdomen upper
4. MRI abdomen whole
5. MRI angiography , per part
6. MRI ankle joint ,single
7. MRI ankle joint , both
8. MRI brachial plexus
9. MRI brain+ angiography
10.MRI brain+ diffusion study
12.MRI brain + venography
13.MRI blood vessels(MRI angiography)
17.MRI elbow, joint both
18.MRI elbow joint single
19.CV Junction plain and contrast MRI
20.CSF flow study plain MRI
21.Dorsal spine plain MRI
22.Dorsal spine contrast MRI
|23.Functional MR (BOLD) perfusin plain MRI|
24.Functional MR(BOLD)perfusion plainMRI
26.MRI functional ( per region)
27.MRI gall bladder
33.MRI knee joint,single
34.MRI knee joint , both
35.MRI IAM screening
37.MRI lumbar spine
39.MRI musculoskeletal, one part
40.Myolography plain MRI
41.Myolography plain MRI
|45.Orbit contrast MRI
46.Orbit plain MRI
50.MRI screening,per part
51.MRI screening,joint single
52.MRI screening joint both
53.MRI screening whole
55.MRI temporomandibular joints ,single
56.MRI temporomandibuular joints , both
57.MRI thoracic spine
59.MRI urinary tract
61.MRV : magnetic resonance venography (for veins)
62.MRI vertebral artery(VA)
63.MRI wrist joint,single
64.MRI wrist joint , both
65.MRI+MRA + SPECTROSCOPY brain
Types of MRI scanThere are typically three types of MRI scans available:
1. Closed MRI scan – In such MRI scan the patient lies on a table that goes inside a narrow tube and in such MRI the patient might get uncomfortable especially people who are claustophobic (fear of closed spaces) but it provides best images.
2. Open MRI scan – In such MRI scan the patient lies down and the machine is open hence no discomfort but the quality of images in such MRI is not as good as in the case of closed MRI scan. Usually obese people prefer such open MRI scan.
3. Standing/ sitting MRI- In such MRI scan the patient can lie down or can even stand hence it offers comfort but the image quality is not as such as closed MRI scan.
1. You are required to wear a gown which should not have any metal button , zips or any other metal bearings as it causes blurring of the image.
2. You may be asked not to eat for 4-6 hours before going for MRI.
3. Before going for the MRI scan the doctor may ask you if you have any kidney problems, whether you are on dialysis.
4. The doctor also asks you about any metal implants you have in the body like artificial valves, inner ear implants, artificial joints etc as any kind of metal inside the body can cause problems with the clearity of images and provide blurred images.
5. Remove jewellery, spectacles, credit cards, hairpins, metal zippers, pins ,watches or any other kind of metal item before going for MRI scan.
6. You may also be asked if you are claustophobic ( fear of closed spaces) .
7. A contrast dye called gandolinium is swallowed or injected for better images.
8. You must also inform the doctor if you are pregnant as contrast dye can be allergic or in future may pose a threat.
9. Moving during the scan can cause blurring of the image so you are asked to stay still.
MRI scan results
1. A typical MRI scan takes 40 to 60 min or more depending on the kind of MRI scan you are going for.
2. The radiowaves are sent to corresponding body part or organ and signals accordingly are received and an image is created which can be saved in a computer and the doctor interprets the results.
Risks of MRI
1. MRI scan is as such better than X-Ray and CT Scan as it does not use ionising radiations which can prove to be harmful.
2. No side effects.
3. Make sure that you are not pregnent or your doctor is aware of your pregnancy also if you have any kidney problem or if you are on dialysis as contrast dye ,gandolinium may prove to be allergic or pose any other problem.
4. The metal implants / metal pieces inside the body may shift or move due to strong magnetic field created during the scan – this could be problematic.
Cost of MRI in delhi
1. The cost of MRI depends on the kind of MRI scan you are going for.
2. Also the cost of plain MRI( without contrast dye) is low as compared to MRI scan with contrast dye.
3. The approximate price of MRI in delhi ranges between 6000-12000 rupees and can be more.
Some MRI Scan Tests-
1. Cost of MRI Brain in Delhi
Through Medcross,You can avail more than 50% discount on mri tests in delhi.
MRI machineA typical MRI machine consists of the following:
2.Radio frequency coils